Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Life Lessons from the neighbors

My dear wife yesterday was made aware of a certain situation among our neighbors--suffice it to say it is one involving an ugly divorce--where she was told, most likely, a little more than we may have really needed to know.  What should our response be?

I would suggest that, in a case where gross sin is alleged, we might do well to simply note to the speaker "I don't know how much of this I need to know, but if indeed you can demonstrate what you're saying, I'd suggest that the police ought to know about some of this."  In doing this, we ensure that gossips are warned about the evil of gossip, and those who would commit grosser sins are warned about their error by an appropriate authority--giving both a chance to repent before it is too late.

And yes, pray for this situation, if you would.  I'm guessing that this is just the tip of the iceberg in my community, but pray, anonymously, for this.

No comments: