Thursday, January 20, 2011

Now I understand, Professor Williams

If you want to know why Professor Walter Williams tends to call many civil rights activists "race hustling poverty pimps," you would have done well to be listening to WCCO today, as Minneapolis civil rights activists expressed outrage that a portion of a park named after Martin Luther King, Jr., was to be used as a dog park.

Now if they were going to invite Bull Connor to the grand opening, or use the entire area for this, I'd understand--I've witnessed firsthand how many blacks do have a different experience with canines than I have, as a friend I was running with quickly zipped about ten miles ahead of me as a good-sized pet started chasing us on a country road(nobody got bit).  A park named after Dr. King ought to be, of course, a safe, friendly place for blacks, even if it's not (as is the case here) in a predominantly black area.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the people using a dog park are not exactly going to be bringing their attack-trained Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and Staffordshires for a game of frisbee between terrorizing the postman and the meter-readers, to put it mildly.  I'm also pretty sure that those really concerned about the welfare of minorities have bigger things to worry about--awful schools, rampant fatherlessness, horrific crime, and so on--than whether there is an off-leash dog area in a park named after Dr. King.

1 comment:

Gino said...

as much as i dont want a dog, i might get me a doberman now, just so can take him to the dog park.