Friday, February 01, 2008

A truly important engineering problem

KingDavid tells me about it; there is an ongoing tragedy where our neighbors to the north in Canada are losing their precious beer because it's freezing when they set it outside in the snow when it's 20 below. In response, the Great Western Brewing Company is sponsoring a contest to see who can model the conditions under which beer (or pop for that matter) freezes.

So we're expecting drunks to figure out how to use a complicated thermal model and apply it to save their beer? Say what? Looks like these guys could make it in Parliament with logic like that. I bet there's a few cases in the snow outside their chambers in Ottawa.

At any rate, here's the solution. Beer doesn't "age." It goes stale. So if you've got a full fridge and a few cases outside, you're either drinking stale beer, or you're a drunk, or both. Cut down on the stash and learn to enjoy what you have responsibly.

Kudos to KingDavid for showing us a great example of trying to use technology to solve a problem that's really rooted in behavior. I'll let you know if I win, and if I do, you can have it all. I'm a teetotaler.

7 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

Teetotalers of the world unite! :)

Bike Bubba said...

Hey, you think that if I by some weird chance, win, KD will buy me dinner in exchange for the suds?

I'm just doing my part to help the world keep away from downing bazillions of gallons of skunky stale "liquid bread." Hopefully it works! :^)

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

Bike, you can't be a teetotaler! Didn't Paul say "a little beer, for your frequent ailments?" isn't that what he said?

Anonymous said...

Does it really go stale? The two adults in this family generally get through a case in about six months, and I've never noticed a degradation of quality from the first bottle to the last.

Bike Bubba said...

Well, according to the late beer expert Michael Jackson (not the singer), it does actually go stale. It's the reason that brewer in St. Louis puts "born on" dates on its products. Why don't you notice? Here are some possibilities.

1. You're probably not drinking a fresh one, and comparing it side by side with the six month old one.

2. Packaging is getting pretty good, and can reduce the rate at which it goes stale.

3. Certain brands brew the staleness right in, especially those where it's easiest to buy them by the case or in cans.

I'll admit; what drinking I've done started in a placed called "Germany," and hence I was something of a beer snob.... I've drunk the Czech version of Budweiser, but not the St. Louis version.

And Gabrielle....what if I'm not frequently sick? :^)

Anonymous said...

Fridges?

Real beer is top-fermented from the best types of yeast and therefore best served at room temperature!

Bike Bubba said...

Ale drinker, eh, Obed? My German prof joked that he always took along at packet of instant coffee when he went to pubs in England because the beer was so warm there.

Lotsa good ales out there for those who actually like to taste what they're drinking, and not just get drunk. Welcome here!