Monday, February 25, 2008

Bacon: News you can use!

You may, like me, have wondered "what do you get extra from buying bacon at $6/lb vs. bacon for $4/lb?"

Of course, if you like your bacon to actually be smoked, do prepare to pay a bit more. If your taste buds don't inform you that spending a bit more on this ambrosia is a good deal, here's something more.

I took 4 ozs of Mackenthun's applewood smoked bacon, and 4 ozs of "Farmland" mass produced bacon, and fried them. After frying, I weighed both sets of bacon.

The result; Mackenthun's had 1.5 ounces of pure bacon goodness left, while the Farmland had only one ounce of unsmoked mediocrity left to be weighed. If you want the most pure bacon goodness for your money, the winner by 2nd round KO is Mackenthun's. (or your favorite from your local butcher shop)

(the difference would have been even greater, by the way, had I tested the "Farmland" bacon right after opening the package, when the water they leave in their product would still have been there)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you can move to Pennsylvania where high quality grocery store bacon (e.g.., Wegmans Lower fat, Lower salt variety) is under $4/lb. "Lower fat" not meaning strange substances, just apparently taken from a leaner part of Wilbur. Wonder why it's so high in Minnesota that even the cheap stuff runs at $4? I think you can get the Walmart brand for $3 or just under here.

But you're right, I'll have to put what I should have known intuitively (cheap bacon isn't really cheap in terms of yield) into practice from now on.

Bike Bubba said...

Lessee....my pickup will haul a 3 ton trailer full of Wegman's bacon, costing about $1000 round trip to operate, yielding about $2/lb in profit...... :^)

Actually, I know of places where you can get good bacon a bit cheaper--just not applewood smoked and all. Sounds like another post...

Anonymous said...

Yes, the applewood smoking and all that does drive it up higher than $4 around here. I can't tell you how much that stuff is off the top of my head, but probably $5 and more. I was just surprised that you're apparently paying $4 for the stuff that's full of water and disappears when you fry it.