Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In which I earn the praises of PETA

Call me weird, but part of me wonders why we bothered to ban the inspection of horsemeat a few years back.  It's widely eaten in Europe, and quite frankly, since horses don't do well on grain, it's probably far richer in omega-3 fatty acids than most beef or pork.  I'd eat it.

Of course, part of me also wonders why we let the USDA have such a stranglehold on slaughterhouses, and quite frankly, I'm wondering why I as a taxpayer get to pay to inspect slaughterhouses belonging to others.  Are we to say that inspection of slaughterhouses is something that can't be done to decent standards by states, counties, or for that matter private enterprise?  Let's face it; butchering meat safely is not exactly rocket science, and the USDA has made a hash (pun intended) of it by missing obvious problems with our current meat supply.

2 comments:

Gino said...

i'd split the difference with PETA: horse slaughter only according to halal or kosher practices.

Gino said...

i dont think halal has that split hoof requirement.