Thursday, March 31, 2011

An argument for the nanny state

Apparently, it took a government agency to clue people in to the fact that being locked into an airtight plastic ball is not exactly a smart idea.  I am not ordinarily a friend of the nanny state, but also being no fan of social Darwinism or the use of stupidity as a eugenic tool, I've got to admit that they did the right thing here.

The question I have, of course, is why safety officials and lawyers and the manufacturer and customers didn't figure this one out--never mind customers.

2 comments:

MainiacJoe said...

I would have definitely thought salivating lawyers would have been all over this one.

Bike Bubba said...

The only defense I can come up with for those lawyers is that all too many people go into law because they don't understand math and science, so this could have slipped their notice.

I can't give as much of an excuse for company safety compliance (OSHA compliance) officials....no, wait, I can, because my company's safety program is run by HR. I am not making this up.