Monday, September 07, 2009

Book review: Reforming Marriage

At the advice of some of my readers, I took a look (three times through actually ) at Douglas Wilson's "Reforming Marriage," and...the long and short of it is that it's well worth twenty bucks (or fifty, or one hundred) to get it on your doorstep. Why so?

Wilson builds from creation (who does he think he is, Ken Ham?) to really build the case that we really do have a reason for the way things are, and more than any other person I've read, he does so while avoiding the usual (H. Norman Wright or Gary [Stuart?] Smalley) "do this list and have a happy marriage" pelagian error.

Well, he almost completely avoids it; the only criticism that I have is that at times...he doesn' t make the connections between the Creation and the Gospel as clear as they ought to be, and so it somewhat appears to be lapsing slightly in to H. Norman territory. And so perhaps I will make my plea for a revised edition where he could clean that up.

Or perhaps I'll read through it a fourth time. Probably a good bet for both.

No comments: