Thursday, August 18, 2011

You just walked past your work

My church has been holding a leadership class with some videos and books by John Maxwell, and one thing of particular note to me is something he said to a member of his pastoral staff many years ago.  The man was rushing into his office to "get some work done" and walked right by about a dozen people on the way in.

As he relates the story, Maxwell notes that he walked into the man's office and asked him what he was doing.  The response, of course, was "I had to get quickly to my work!".  At this, Maxwell reminded him that, as a pastor, people are his job.

Now I'm not a pastor--though I was mistaken for one last week--but even as an engineer, how often do I need to remember that people are my job.  In our age of get what you can, take a chunk out of someone's hide if you can business, this is a welcome reminder.  I don't agree with everything Maxwell says or does, but this one is going to stick.

No comments: