Sunday, April 05, 2009

A day well spent

I spent last Friday at the annual MACHE Homeschool Conference in the RiverCentre in Pig's Eye Landing, starting with a five hour (oh my legs, shoulders, and back!) stint working security at the entrance to the exhibition hall with two other people. It was a pleasure--except for standing for five hours, of course.

They asked that I wear a tie, so I wore a blue suit--and as I drove there, I reflected on the fact that I looked somewhat like a Secret Service agent. True to the look (though my suit isn't THAT nice), I got a lot of comments about looking intimidating, and even one "you look like you need a gun."

I didn't tell her that in fact, no, I didn't need a gun.

One of the coolest things about the day, apart from keeping order (it wasn't hard) at the conference, was that we were securing the entrance used by the Wild's players. Of course, we let them by when they mentioned this was their entrance, and we had a lot of fun telling the head of security that we let about 20 of the meanest, toughest looking guys we'd ever seen go right by. They aren't that big, but you can tell they're as tough as nails, and...their jaws are a dental surgeon's dream, if you catch my drift.

(and yes, we also joked about not exactly desiring to get in a confrontation with a hockey player)

Also very cool; I didn't have to avert my eyes from homeschooled children or their parents to prevent violating Job's contract with his eyes very often. Homeschoolers do seem to, by and large, have a well developed sense of modesty, and it's quite refreshing.

3 comments:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I was glad to read your account and happy to know someone of your character.

Keith said...

I've forgotten: Is the reason you don't need a gun because you already have one?

Bike Bubba said...

One? :^)

Well, I only carry one at a time....