Tuesday, August 22, 2006

An interesting rule of logic

I was discussing some topic or other with a friend a few years back, and he shared with me an interesting lawyer's aphorism.

If the facts are on your side, pound the facts. If the law is on your side, pound the law. If neither, pound the table.

In other words, one can infer the strength or weakness of a man's argument by the methods he uses. If he's bringing forth data, he believes that the evidence he presents makes his case. If he cites principles of conduct, he believes that moral law makes his case. If he cites opinion polls, refers to politics, or simply tries to shout you down, he has without knowing conceded your point.

Not that everyone catches on to how the argument has been lost, of course. Maybe we can help by pointing out who's playing "Nikita Kruschev" in the arena of ideas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was eating in a Chinese resturant a few years ago and received a fortune cookie with a "Chinese" proverb which said,

"Harsh and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

- I don't remember the meal, but I'll never forget the saying.

Mercy Now said...

Bert, according to polls taken most recently, people don't really care about hard facts. It's more about where they are coming from that really counts. For example, the issue of immigration is not right and wrong but how would you feel if you were one of those immigrants? As far as school achievement goes, as long as you do your best, there's no failing. This is why our kids will be much better. And if you're not persuaded by my 'reasoning' then I DEMAND that you MUST!

Seriously, good points and I'll have to pay more attention to that not that I haven't noticed before. This is why I check this blog, it's full of good things to pick up on, well almost:o)

Bike Bubba said...

Hmmm....seems to be a brilliant exposition, Mercy, on the old principle "if you can't blind them with brilliance..." :^)