Friday, August 11, 2006

Funeral luncheons

I once heard a joke that the main reason an Irishman dreads dying is that it's going to be the best party he ever pays for, and he doesn't get to enjoy it.

Apart from probable drunkenness, this picture of a funeral luncheon may have a lot going for it. One of the attractions of Heaven, after all, is the banquet laid out by our Lord for His Church, and making a funeral luncheon "palatable" certainly is at least a dim reflection of this truth.

So what do we think might be good for our own funeral luncheons? I bet Mark might say "Lefty's Pizza." (would Craig deliver to the Springs?) Here in the Great White North, one possibility would be Famous Dave's BBQ, and if I moved southwards, I just might have to investigate whether Big Bob's would do the same.

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

Mark said...

It is Nature's most perfect food, after all.

And, if it meant that Lefty's would be served, I might just have my funeral/wake/memorial in Niwot.

Throw my ashes into the fountain or something. :^)

Bike Bubba said...

You certainly helped pay for that fountain!

Anonymous said...

I believe it is appropriate to have something like this. Food has a communal quality about it. Sharing a meal, especially after a loss, probably has theraputic value.

Bike Bubba said...

Comfort and condolence, yes. But I'd argue that just as important is the theological meaning of such a meal--to remind us that the deceased, if he knew Christ, is even now enjoying a repast to dream of.