Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Ending the culture of death via marriage

...is the subject of Dr. Marvin Olasky's column in this week's copy of World Magazine. As is usual, his logic is compelling; given that the vast majority of abortions involve out of wedlock pregnancy, a return to respect for marriage would likely greatly reduce abortion rates--by at least an order of magnitude.

Knowing this, it is a shame that so many otherwise pro-life men refer to their wives as a "ball and chain", or view marriage as some infringement on their lives. Is this how we treat our "spare rib", the one who shares all with us? Is it any wonder that we have over a million abortions (and hundreds of thousands of divorces) each year with attitudes like that?

Let's start a practice of bragging about the joys of marriage instead. I'll start.

My wife is my constant companion, consolation, helpmate, and encourager. She's the faithful homeschooling mom of our four children, the caretaker of our home. She also is the one who bought me my pickup, my power tools, my bicycle, many of my books, and my guns.

No "Bond girl," or series of them, can compete with that. Certainly no bar experience can compete with it. Let's remind our friends of this fact.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I want a wife like that! :+> Actually I'll pick my own truck and guns, thanks. My wife chased me for three years before I gave in and asked her to marry me. As terrified as I was I have not looked back, and have no regrets. We do not fight or bicker (No patience for that) though we do bark occasionally and briefly. We fully respect each other and allow each other our freedoms, and the trust is there to support that freedom. Just in the last year we started attending a small bible believing church in the country, and I expected resistance from her. She embraces it, we both are growing in the Lord, and this has only strengthened our marriage further. God willing...I'll keep her!

Anonymous said...

Good post bubba. Proverbs 31 tells us what a blessing a virteous wife can be. And that we are to "praise her in the gates"!

Bike Bubba said...

DeerPark, my wife has (wow) similar taste in both to me.....

...and shall I pray for you to find your "spare rib," David?