Thursday, August 09, 2018

All true, it appears

I just got back from a two week vacation in California--Bay area and northwards--and sad to say, a lot of what I've heard about that great state's decline is absolutely true.  Even in the very prosperous towns of Mountain View and Palo Alto, you've got garbage strewn all over and signs warning drivers to lock their cars lest someone steal their things, tech workers living in RVs (and strange traffic control methods in Palo Alto to prevent it), and the façade of prosperity along with the reality of empty homes and buildings. 


It is as if residents of the state have forgotten what formerly made their state work, and I saw that when I visited Stanford's campus in Palo Alto.  There is a degree of beauty there that I've rarely seen elsewhere (and I've been to Cambridge MA and Heidelberg), but there was something striking and quite frankly appalling as I watched those on campus act as if the dozens of Rodin sculptures (including a complete Gates of Hell and a bigger than life Le Penseur) were simply freshman sculpture projects. 


Loved the whales, sea lions, redwoods, and wineries, but the state is cruising for a bruising, societally speaking.

7 comments:

elspeth said...

Huh. That's to bad, isn't it? But there is so much about the way California's leaders govern that had to lead to this eventually.

Jim Peet said...

Glad you had a good trip. Saw some photos on FB.

Wife going to San Fran at the end of the month.

I used to love CA ... upon college graduation I drove there from Ohio in my VW bug and spent the Summer there. Loved it

Keep blogging

Hearth said...

And you didn't even visit LA. Or SD. But ... LA. I won't go to buy fabric by myself now. Because this:
https://psychologistmimi.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/wp-image-809756834jpg.jpg isn't confined to one little spot, but it is at its worst in the garment district.

Third world country much. We had a lovely Hep A epidemic last winter here in SD. And quite a few small fires in the ravines.

But y'all just ignore me when I twitch when the Very Happy Homeless Dude walks past my house. It's fine. We have video cameras now. Everyone has video cameras now. And the gang memorial over the hill was quite scenic. I don't think I've ever seen a display involving both beer bottles and flower wreaths before.

AAAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKKK.

Remember - when the nice couple from CA moves in next door from you, they're refugees and should be treated with compassion. Teach them to drive in weather and give 'em a hug. They're going to have to acclimate to a civilized behavior.

Bike Bubba said...

I actually struck a blow for civilization while there by picking up some of the garbage along the streets while I went for walks and runs.

Hearth said...

Thank you. Could be dangerous for you, but thank you.

Bike Bubba said...

I avoided picking up tissues and napkins and other obvious possible sources of contagion. Or would the gang-bangers (the Google Crips?) beat me up for cleaning up?

Hearth said...

I was thinking about razor blades or needles hidden in the trash, honestly.

The bangers care almost as little about you as they do about me. You're not competition, customer, or cop.