Friday, June 27, 2008

The ACLU takes on blasphemy

I heard on Laura Ingraham's show this morning that the ACLU is apparently contemplating a lawsuit against the Naval Academy if they do not end nonsectarian prayers at lunch. Now while I understand the ordinary conservative "go tell them to pound sand" response to this--that the ACLU is ignoring little things like prayer at the Constitutional Convention when they claim that prayers in public funded settings are unConstitutional--I also think that Biblically speaking, they got this one at least partially right.

That is, if you've heard most sectarian prayers and think from a Biblical worldview, you want to wash your ears out afterwards because most of them are blasphemous--prayers to a God who is not that of the Bible. My desire for the Middies to have spiritual support while they train means that I oppose ritual blasphemy before they eat their midday meal.

1 comment:

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I agree. I sometimes wonder how much harm we do to actual Christian faith by propping up civic religion. Our faith is not made stronger by state support! The lack of civic support is much more helpful in giving people a clearer understanding of what they actually believe and why they believe it.