Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A note about gossip

The much ballyhooed "Valerie Plane/Joe Wilson" case illustrates brilliantly what is wrong with Washington, DC's culture of gossip. Far too often, denizens of that foul city decide that it's their right to share "private" or even "classified" information with the Washington Post or New York Times to achieve their policy objectives--never mind what the fallout might be in other peoples' lives, or to the nation or world as a whole.

In this case, Dick Armitage's gossip (and he even admits that it was!) cost journalists years of their lives in jail, wasted tens of millions of dollars in special prosecutors' fees, and trashed the reputations and livelihoods of many public servants. If this is how DC intends to attract good men, they need to consider another strategy.

What's really crazy: Armitage was hired despite a long and admitted history of such gossip, going back to Iran-Contra in the 1980s.

What's crazy and funny: I was banned from another weblog because I pointed out that to use the "Washington Gossip" (as the papers refer to it) was, indeed, the same sin referred to in Proverbs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said you were banned from "another" blog? As in more than one? Which blog was it? I was banned from Anthony Bradley's. I was disagreeing with something, next thing I know, poof, no more posting.

Oh well, thats what happends when you speak the truth to some. They turn and run away.

BTW, have you been watching all the action about Frank Vance being sued by Ligioner (R.C. Sproul)? It's been interesting.

Mercy Now said...

One thing I have learned over the years is to listen to people who object to my views no matter how ridiculous it may sound as long as it's not offensive. In fact, I've had heated debates w/ some of my good friends (but they are all well thought conversations). Sometimes, I even challenge my good friends to not hold anything back in arguing.

Now, banning for indecent language or ludicrous statements is one thing but for disagreeing in a cordial manner is like a kid plugging his ears.

As to David's last comment, who's Frank Vance? I know what Ligioneer does.

Mercy Now said...

Oops, forgot about the post. Anyway, shouldn't Armitage be sued for slander? Of course, that would cost some $ to hire a firm to do so.

Bike Bubba said...

Actually, since Armitage was telling the truth, he cannot be sued for slander. However, as an inveterate gossip, he ought to be locked out of any chance of working in high corridors of power in Washington, I'd argue.

And of course, locking gossips out of the corridors of power would pretty much empty out Washington, DC--and that would be a good thing, in my (probably not humble enough) opinion.

Anonymous said...

Ligonier is suing blogger Frank Vance over comments he's made on his blog about them.

www.vancetribe.blogspot.com

Bike Bubba said...

Speaking of gossip;

1. I'm not going to name who banned me to avoid needless speculation about the facts of the matter.

2. Given that neither side of the R.C. Sproul Jr. expulsion debate is has been that forthcoming about the details of the conflict, I'd recommend that we don't discuss that, either--at least not here. Thanks!