Thursday, March 02, 2006

Simple pleasures

Let's start with the quiz comparing knowledge of the 1st Amendment, the Simpsons, and American Idol. I was perfect on both the 1st Amendment and the Simpsons, but failed miserably on "American Idol." You'd think that I had no interest in that show.

Oh, wait, that's exactly true. Never mind.

On a more uplifting note, it was wonderful to enjoy the first 100 pages of R.L. Dabney's volume of systematic theology while listening to the birds on a business trip. Dabney has a knack for eviscerating the logic of his opponents in a few sentences, and I've greatly appreciated his gutting and skinning of Darwin, polytheism, and pantheism.

Finally, some more ways to prevent abortion by loving your wife. First, if the Brady types get their way, you might do well to be a customer of this company and protect your family the samurai way. Don't forget, though, that your wife needs flavenoids from time to time as you help her to discipline the kids.

5 comments:

Shawn said...

5/5 on first amendment
4/5 on simpsons
2/5 on idol


but...i think i got lucky on 1 or 2 first amendment questions, and one 1 simpsons question.


dabney, huh?

Bike Bubba said...

Shawn--absolutely. I got acquainted with his work via Veritas Press (www.veritaspress.com) and "On Secular Education," and am persuaded that he's one guy that really ought to be read more.

Anonymous said...

It was interesting to run across Dabney active in Civil War battles repeatedly in a book about Stonewall Jackson. I sometimes wonder if the theology professor/battle-hardened soldier career path wouldn't have been more interesting than that of a commodity broker....
As a dispensationalist I can't go everywhere theologically that he does though.

Mark said...

Same scores as Shawn, though I was just guessing on the American Idol questions...

Let me know when you pick up your custom Katana sword, Bert. Until then, I won't have any peer pressure to get my own. ;^)

Bike Bubba said...

Mark, don't I need to catch up with your family in that respect? I seem to remember that you've got a couple--maybe not samurai style, but you can perform the "2 second IQ test" on a burglar with the "shhiiing" if a blade leaving the scabbard, no?