Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I'm perplexed

Sometimes, when I consider the things that evangelicals do to promote the faith, I am perplexed. Sometimes it's BMWs and $100 jeans that look like my year old $15 Wranglers. Sometimes it's missions movies that don't name the name of Jesus, or music about "purity" sung by a young lady wearing spandex. At other times, it's the promotion of specialty mortgage products and the endorsement of using one's home equity to buy new toys. My favorite is the "strongmen for Christ" schtick. Apparently our Lord is glorified when we lift weights to look like gladiators. Never mind the fact that it was Christians who put an end to gladiatorial contests--times have apparently changed.

Now, I don't have anything in particular against BMWs, nice clothes, mortgages, music, or movies. Is this all there is to life in Him, however? That we can yearn for the same things our unsaved friends live for? Personally, I'm hoping that my witness is a little bit more compelling than that.

8 comments:

Mark said...

But you do have something against working out and wearing spandex. Me, too. The one is necessary before the other. Not enough time. Not enough motivation. Wouldn't look good. Wouldn't be prudent. Not gonna do it. ;^)

BTW, you need to fix the URL to World Magazine.

Bike Bubba said...

Thanks--when I wrote this, the system was barfing in a very interesting way.

And I have nothing at all against spandex--as long as it's an undergarment, of course, and not what the public must see. :^)

Mark said...

I've felt for a very long time that the person who invented Spandex should be bronzed. :^)

And now the World Mag link isn't there at all. ??

Bike Bubba said...

Kinda like Han Solo?

Anonymous said...

It isn't promoting the faith at all. It is promoting the rampant materialism that has this nation around the throat. Unfortunately, most evangelicals have bought into it. Your right to desire more for yourself and your unsaved friends.

Mark said...

Bert!

What's the URL to the article?

Bike Bubba said...

Mark--no article in particular, but there are things from time to time on World magazine which perplex me, as well as things on Salem Radio and other places.

Mark said...

Oh. You could have said so after you fixed the URL.

Thanks!