Monday, June 27, 2022

When is enough "enough"?

Russian (OK, TBD, but safe bet) airstrikes hit a shopping mall in Kremenchuk, a location with no military value over 100km from the nearest fighting on the ground.  If it is as represented, this is a clear war crime, and five will get you ten we know exactly what airfield those planes launched from, exactly what munitions they used, etc..

This in addition to incessant shelling of residential areas, hundreds (thousands?) of bodies found in the suburbs of Kyiv, and pending famine in developing countries due to Russia's blockade of Ukrainian ports.  When do we decide enough is enough?  

Yes, I realize Putin's got nukes, and we can't go in like we did in Iraq, but I'd at least hope that we could say "we're going to take steps to stop the biggest war crimes, starting with ensuring the freedom of shipping to Odessa, and continuing with treating flights over Belarus towards Kyiv as imminent terrorist attacks."

2 comments:

elspeth said...

I am not following the war closely (I readily admit that), but from what I have read, it wasn't a shopping mall.

Again, not a defense of Putin, but I am so horribly indifferent-at best- to the Ukrainian government that I cannot be bothered to drum up any interest in this war,

Bike Bubba said...

Where are you reading? All the sources I've seen say that yes, it was, and I've watched footage of the missile striking.

Russia's claiming it was a downed anti-aircraft missile (no damage to the missile that hit), that there was another military target nearby (there wasn't)....so any Russian source is suspect, to put it mildly.

My hope here is that Russia is defeated badly enough that both nations get freedom that they haven't had before. I'm starting to cue in to why Ukraine had been so corrupt; when the USSR broke up, the KGB dispersed the nationalized assets among their buddies, and those are the oligarchs in both countries. Then Russia used these networks to wreak havoc in the politics of the newly free countries.