Friday, October 28, 2011

Blessings of fatherhood versus GATT and NAFTA

I am currently working a situation at work where our Chinese factory has made a bunch of faulty product, and when the customer representatives asked whether I could make a trip, it was great to be able to say "Given that I've got a three week old son at home, I think I'll do well to handle this from home."

And along the same lines, because we insanely tax incomes instead of imports, I know a whole class of people whose resume and paychecks depend primarily on the number of customs stamps on their passports rather than on their actual skills, and whose frequent flier miles would make a decent salary for many people.  I don't want to go back to a 45% tariff of abominations that helped cause the Civil War, but I think it would be appropriate for the nation to pay for the Coast Guard, Border Patrol/ICE, and Navy out of revenues from trade.

No comments: