Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Two things I'd like to see

First, Roosh's post about the resignation of Caribou's president reminds me of something I'd love to see; a coffee shop that has both good coffee AND real coffee mugs, not paper cups. Sorry, but even office coffee tastes better in a stoneware mug or glass/china cup.

Next, I'd like to see more colleges (besides small liberal arts colleges like Patrick Henry and New Saint Andrews') featuring real literature in their English departments; I just took a look at Michigan State's course listings, and it appeared that about half of the course offerings were "diversity" offerings; classes about literature that wouldn't be offered if it were not "politically correct" to feature books by racial and ethnic minorities. This was startling; MSU is NOT one of the more "politically correct" schools I'm acquainted with.

Sorry, but if you want Chaucer and Dickens, you'll have to do it on your own time--just like logic, real rhetoric, Latin....I think I'm seeing a pattern here.

(many thanks for the note from Pentamom pointing out that it appeared I was saying PHC and NSA were the only schools actually teaching literature. This was not what I meant to convey!)

6 comments:

Shawn said...

major props for the Dickens.

Anonymous said...

Granted decent English programs are far rarer than they should be, but it's not so extreme as you paint it -- just NSA, PHC, and nobody else. Here, for example, is the English section of Grove City College's catalog:

http://www.gcc.edu/UserFiles/File/Academics/catalog-07/ENGL.pdf

And I'm sure there are many more similar examples among decent smaller, traditional and/or Christian liberal arts institutions.

Anonymous said...

I don't consider myself a literary snob by any means, nor can I say that I'm well read in the classical realm; but, I have read a number of the classics and enjoy reading extensively in a number of genres. I will admit as well that one of my all-time favorite reads is the Remo William Destroyer series of cheap paperbacks.

With that said, I find it hard to fathom the propensity for liberals to celebrate absolute crap for the sake of diversity; whether it be in literature or any of the arts.

Also, MM would agree with you wholeheartedly on the coffee drinking. I just went out recently and bought her a ceramic travel mug because I couldn't stand to see her suffer.

Bike Bubba said...

KD, you're obviously campaigning for husband of the year. Keep up the good work! :^)

Johnny Roosh said...

I tried real mugs but they don't fit in my cupholders.

Bike Bubba said...

Quite right--the impact of not having enough time to sip a cup of coffee probably has a lot to do with why they use paper cups.

But ha! My pickup has enough room for a real cup. (aftermarket center console...)