Friday, March 16, 2007

Arguing theology

A few years back, I led a Bible study of young singles, and one thing I could count on was for two young men to start a parallel debate on Calvin vs. Arminius. What was most interesting to me was that I was pretty sure that at least one participant had never read a word of either theologian.

Fast forward to last night, and I was talking with a neighbor who is a member of a church that's now Reformed Baptist. Or, sort of. It's been Arminian, Calvinist, and at least two varieties of Landmark/King James Only in the past five years as well, and always with something of an emphasis on works to boot. At times, spirituality in this place often seems to be measured by how many members are expelled.

As in the former case, I'm pretty sure that the pastor has never bothered to read Calvin, Arminius, or any number of other theologians. Rather, it's just a rapid-fire set of attacks on theological opponents, and it's sent a number of people who love the Lord and each other to separate churches--very often in anguish over what they've experienced.

I would be tempted to berate people for this, but it's merely an extreme example of something we see all too often; people quit one church because it's too dispensational, too reformed, too Calvinistic, too Arminian, and so on--and that when they've never bothered to learn even the exegetical or hermeneutical distinctives of their favored perspective.

And so we see millions running from church to church, infecting each with the poison of uninformed theological views while more or less failing to lift a finger to reach the lost and encourage those in the flock.

If you think you might be partly or fully in this pattern, here are some sites that might be encouraging to you:

Living Waters

Evangie Tales

5 comments:

Macey said...

Excellent point(s) Bubba.
I couldn't agree more.

Your favorite seminary president wrote a good article on the subject: http://www.sharperiron.org/2006/08/11/do-we-have-to-fight-about-this/

I'm not sure about that living waters site though ... ;-)

Macey said...

Just a couple of examples.

-----------------------------

4. How to Find God’s Will For Your Life
Have you ever wondered what God wants you to do with your life?
...
By the time you have finished listening, you will know what God wants you to do with your life. Listen carefully, because we have only one stab at this life, and if we miss God's will as Christians, everything else we do is futile.
-----------------------

I didn't know God had a secret/knowable will for my life. I hope I have not missed it.

"Decision making and the will of God", by Gary Friesen, comes to mind as a good book (in my opinion) that tries to refute this sort of thinking.

One more ...

----------------------

6. How To Get Passion For Souls
This is the last teaching in this series. It will show you how to get a passion for the lost. There is nothing more important (in these closing hours of time) than to reach out to the unsaved. But this is something the Church won't do if it doesn't have a burning passion to see them safe in Christ. This is something that should testimony of every Christian, but sadly few who profess to be in the contemporary Body of Christ have enough concern to make evangelism their all-consuming obsession. This teaching will help you to know how that can become a reality in your own life.

-------------------

A passion for souls is good, but a passion for God is even better, in my opinion. I think the former will determine the latter. If we make Christ and God himself (the object of our Faith) our passion (and not simply evangelism) we will develop an appropriate passion for souls (e.g. our neighbor), that is second only to our passion for God.

Sadly, I think I have yet to develop either passion to the degree to which I ought. I trust the sanctifying grace of God in my life will be sufficient to change that, in due time.

Macey said...

oops, I meant to say the latter (passion for God) will determine the former (passion for souls of men) ... but you get the point ;-)

Bike Bubba said...

I get the point--and certainly I don't think that Comfort & co. have everything right.

One thing, though; I think you miss the point of calling evangelism & preaching sin a "secret"; Comfort's not saying it really is, but rather that it might as well be a secret to many who have inhabited "seeker sensitive" and "easy believe" churches.

Macey said...

Sounds like I should have listened to the audio, instead of judging the message by the abstract. I'm not referring to Comfort's use of the term "secret" (since I didn't listen to the audio), I was simply referring to the traditional view God's will, which says God has an individual will (e.g. plan) for each believer, which is knowable, and if believers fail to discern the Lord's will in important matters (e.g. who to marry, what career to choose, etc.) , they will have to settle for God's 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) best. This is the idea that is dealt with in Friesen's book, Decision Making and the Will of God.

That said, I don't mean to take away from what Comfort are trying to accomplish for our Lord and Savior. I've watched several of the Way of the Master videos (and have personally met and talked with Kirk Cameron) and I think they are doing a great work and are being used of God to win many souls.

That said, I simply disagree with much of what I read on the front page of the living waters site. But keep in mind, I have a reformed understanding of soteriology. At any rate, let's leave the hidden/secret things to God; and I agree with you (and Bauder) that some things are not worth fighting about.