Thursday, July 20, 2006

An interesting call

I recently wrote a letter to the editor to protest this column's misrepresentation of sources. To wit, the author used a Brady Center report, but described it as data from the BATF. Pretty big difference, I dare say. Unfortunately, my town's police chief may be the one who is misrepresenting this to the columnist. I might need to write a note to him and the city council about this. He's entitled to his views, but he's not entitled to represent political action groups as if they were reports from a governmental agency.

At any rate, one of my points was that gun traces rarely reveal any evidence because only 12% of crime guns are obtained through a gun or pawn shop, and that even most of those are obtained legally.

So I got a call from the editorial assistant asking whether I meant to write "legally" or "Illegally". Apparently the editor could not bring himself to believe that a portion of criminals actually obtained their firearms through legal channels--that is, as citizens not yet convicted of a crime.

It shows brilliantly how far we need to go to get sane dialogue on the subject of guns, I dare say.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Sane dialog from the MSM? Are you on drugs? Well, I guess it's refreshing to see that there are still people who aren't totally jaded and cynical.

(Oh, and the quote of yours is absolutely tiny in my browser. I had to bump the size up about four times to be able to read it.)

Bike Bubba said...

Caffeine, of course. And some decongestants as the ragweed ripens.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that the everyday gun crimes by real criminals in America rarely make the local news anymore, but let a kid stumble into his dad's gun cabinet and acciedently shoot someone and it is international news.