Greg Crosby notes how he tends to love the things of the past as he goes through his life, and I am tempted to agree. Not that there aren't good things now--a computer like I'm using right now to type this note did not exist until I was in my thirties, for example--but as I shop for things I'd like to have, I am becoming more and more aware that many of the things I'd like are fading out of existence. Things like manual transmissions, Katahdin Iron Works hoodies, leather shoes, CD level sound quality (sorry, MP3 loses something when you're listening to classical music), rye flour (except at the "hippie" food stores), and a bunch of other things.
OK, yes, life changes. You can't find buggy whips, corsets, or bloomers in most stores anymore, either, and some things are for the better. But even so, I think something has been lost.
No comments:
Post a Comment