Friday, August 15, 2008

What do you do?

After picking up a bite to eat one evening this week, I noticed a minivan stranded in the road. I thought about seeing what I could do to help, and then I noticed that in the minivan were two large, strong young men lounging around there, apparently just waiting. They could have pushed the minivan to the shoulder without breaking a sweat, even on a 90 degree day, but they were just sitting there waiting for whatever.

I don't know how to feel about it, but I didn't stop. Something about contemplating what might be up with two able bodied young men not taking responsibility for their own car made me think twice about whether it would be a good idea to help them.

If anybody's out there reading, let me know what you might do.

6 comments:

Terry Lange said...

I would have done the same thing you did!

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I'm guessing that they used a cell phone and called for help and couldn't be bothered with the extra work. But there are other possibilities. Maybe they were disabled? Or maybe they were gang-bangers waiting for someone to stop. In any event, I figure that if they're just lounging in the car instead of flagging someone down, then I wouldn't stop.

Gino said...

i would have kept on going.

now, if it was two able bodied ladies, i would have stopped.

Anonymous said...

I would have pulled out my sidearm, popped a cap in their a** and stolen their...wait you said minivan, right?

I would have pointed and laughed at them as I drove by.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I would have passed by too.

Anonymous said...

If I were a man, and I were quick-thinking (which I'm usually not), I would have yelled out my window, "Hey! Get that thing off the road before you cause an accident!"