Friday, February 09, 2007

Presidential candidates

For those who are interested, here is a website for Mike Huckabee's campaign. The bright side is that he's got a carry permit, and is good on the 2nd Amendment and the issue of life. On the down side, he doesn't appear to be committed to enforcing our immigration laws (build the fence and start deporting people), and he seems to like W's policies and style a bit too much for my taste.

And here's an interesting bit about Rudy Giuliani. While I don't like his stance on abortion or firearms, he did manage to cut taxes and also do a very interesting improvement in NYC's college system (CUNY). What did he do? He eliminated remedial classes and open admission.

In short, he insisted that CUNY admit only those who were ready for college. Although it's really not a federal issue, I must concede that he got this one right. If only states would start to do this, I'd suggest that parents would also enact the greatest reformation of the government schools since Dewey. That is, angered that their child got As and Bs through high school, but yet could not get into "the U," they'd raise Hell in school board meetings until an A or B in high school English or math meant that a student would be ready for college level rhetoric and mathematics.

8 comments:

Mercy Now said...

I heard a 5 min interview with him on NPR and he's pretty good. I'd vote for him. Guili is very liberal.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

If I had to decide right now I'd probably go for Guiliani because we need someone who is serious about the war and not a pander monkey. In short, someone who will lead.

Mercy Now said...

Hammer, very interesting. So how do you balance between Guil's liberal domestic views vs national policy? I'm not a one or two issues voter so just curious how others decide.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

I don't mind if Guiliani is personally liberal on social issues so long as he doesn't appoint judges who will legislate those issues from the bench. I think Guiliani is just as likely, if not more so, to appoint judicial constructionists and not fold when the inevitable liberal hysteria starts ringing from every newspaper in the country.

Bike Bubba said...

Given Giuliani vs. most any Democrat, I'd have to pull the lever for him, I'm afraid. Against most pro-life and/or pro-gun Republicans, or against a pro-life, pro-gun (with evidence) Democrat, Giuliani loses.

But that said, I still think that he did at least one WONDERFUL thing for the schools in NYC. If only Minnesota could do the same.

W.B. Picklesworth said...

On paper I agree with you BB. But what is fresh in my mind is the legions of weak-willed Republican leaders who are unwilling to stand up for what they campaign on. Tim Pawlenty comes to mind. In that kind of atmosphere Rudy becomes attractive.

Shawn said...

He is a bit of a hard-ass, isn't he? :) I wonder if that's just post-911 persona, or if he was always that way.

Man...I am LATE to this game.


Bert...I did pick up Hayek's 'road to serfdom' book...reading it now.

Bike Bubba said...

I noted that on your weblog--great book, too. Dunno if you've read it, but a little gem (easy hour's read, hard lifetime's application) is Frederic Bastiat's "The Law."

(as if you need more to read with all of your new books, but...)