Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Now why didn't I know that before?

This article notes that, ironically, it appears that overall mortality went down, and lifespans went up, during the Depression.   It reminds me of getting to know my mother's parents--along with aunts, uncles, cousins, and the like--after my parents divorced, and being struck with how much love there was, even though they didn't have much money.  Toast with jelly and a couple of eggs somehow tasted better than a full brunch elsewhere, and going to the Lions Club Labor Day celebration was a lot more fun than a lot of far higher dollar events I've attended elsewhere.


And it wasn't the first time I'd become enamored of what I'd learned from those who went through the Depression.  I'd spent many happy hours looking around the things stored in the basement of the home my dad had grown up in, filled with items my other grandmother and grandfather had kept through their lives.  I'm very grateful for the fact that contentment can be had cheaply.


And a side note; happy Pi Day!

No comments: