Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Gorbachev a believer?

Back in college, when "Glasnost" and "Perestroika" were being introduced in the Soviet Union, I daydreamed about the possibility that Gorbachev might be a closet Christian. Reagan is said to have had the same suspicion.

Today, the news comes out that Gorbachev himself makes that claim, and...quite frankly, I'm not convinced. Didn't our Lord say something to the effect that He would deny him who denies Him?

I hope that Gorbachev has indeed entrusted the safekeeping of his soul to Jesus, or will soon. I'm just not yet convinced that someone who publicly espoused atheism (required for all Communist Party members) can claim that he was simultaneously accepting and denying Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this is true, when we get to heaven we'll probably find Gorbachev and Nicodemus hanging out together.

John said...

"St Francis is, for me, the alter Christus, the other Christ," said Mr Gorbachev.

I'm not sure which is worse, denying the existence of God or denying Christ's Lordship and inherent superiority.