Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Body blow to the Scouts

Apparently the Mormon Church, and about 20% of Boy Scouts, is now leaving the organization over various changes made, from homosexual leaders to admitting girls.   I'm not quite sure what to think, really.  On one side, it was always strange to me that the Mormons used the Scouts more or less as their discipleship arm for so long--their equivalent of confirmation classes/CCD in some ways.   And on the flip side, since the units nominally retain some sovereignty, it's strange that they're now leaving.  I wonder what happens to Scout camps in Utah and Idaho, really.  They're going to be really quiet going forward, I'd guess.


And really, I wonder what happens to Scouting in general.  This action will take the Scouts to below 2 million young men for the first time in close to a century, and they were having trouble paying the bills even before this.  I don't believe that selling their Utah camps to the LDS will solve the problem for very long, to put it mildly.  They've done a lot of good in the past, so you hate to see them in a death spiral, but that seems to be at least arguable now.

No comments: