Thursday, July 09, 2009

Thoughts for the Pelosi/Reid/Obama recession

If you're (as I have) suffering some of the effects of the current recession, my wife and I have some thoughts that may be helpful.

1. Learn to buy not clothes, but a wardrobe. 18" of closet space can be entirely sufficient for a well dressed man. Probably somewhat more for a woman, but certain essentials can save you a lot of money while allowing you to enjoy better quality items, too.

2. Stop buying kitchen appliances and create a kitchen. My family eats for about as much as food stamps would allocate, but you wouldn't know it unless you saw the grocery bills.

3. Learn how much your "stuff" is costing you. A $500 sofa seems cheap until you count the 200 square feet that you add to your house to house it, and lots of inexpensive clothes seem "cheap" until....you need a new walk-in closet or storage space to house them.

4. Contemplate what the real cost of the attitudes one sees on the idiot box, or at the movies, might be.

5. Consider that the failure to meet a budget, or keep out of debt, just might be a fairly accurate barometer of your ability to apply "Thou shalt not covet..." to your life. Pursue contentment, and see what happens.

3 comments:

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

I find that "things" are a burden. I just want to get things out of the way - get a nice car, a nice BIKE, some decent clothes, and then just forget about it - get on with life. I don't want to dwell on my possessions. You have to protect them and maintain them. To have them become a preoccupation is truly bondage.

imfreenow.blogspot.com said...

also - loved the tips on a wardrobe for men. I'd like to see one for women.

My tips would be - also, have a separate wardrobe - one casual, one dressy. I need a wardrobe for work, so I have some capris for the summer plus some semi dressy tops, though cool - some are tailored shirts. I only have a few capris and a few shirts - and some can be worn with a t-shirt underneath.

I have just one dress, and one jean skirt that can be worn with the same tops so I have some kind of dresses.

That's all I have that's dressy and I wear them interchangeably throughout the summer. For winter, it's similar.

For casual wear I have shorts and t-shirts, some are grubby for truly sweating in when I bike or do yard work.

That's all I have in my "wardrobe" and I have money for more but I don't waste it, nor do I care to bother with clothes. To buy them and then forget about them is my motto.

Bike Bubba said...

That's a tall order. My wife and I are discussing this, though.