Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cheap, but no bargain

My friend Chet send me this to let me know I'm not the only person talking about things that are cheap, but not a bargain. Along those lines, I've noticed something interesting while grilling; those of my friends who use the cheap burgers from "le Mart du Wal" get a lot of flame-ups and scorched pieces of charcoal (that should have been burgers) due to the excessively high fat content (I'd guess at least 40%) in them.

Cheap, but since you don't actually get to eat anything, not exactly a bargain. I'll take my father-in-law's grass fed beef at about 95% lean over that any time.

6 comments:

kingdavid said...

BB: link to my new web site, kingdavid

Gino said...

95% is too dry for burgers.
high fat works best, its just that some do not know how to grill that properly.

for me, its a flavor issue, not a $ one.

pentamom said...

80% works about best for us. And you can usually get that in bulk at the supermarket at least as cheaply as you can buy premade patties of any grade. (I did get a great deal at GFS on frozen 80% patties a while ago, but that's unusual.) All you need is a $3 patty maker, and it works best if you freeze the patties before grilling them -- at least the pentadad vastly prefers the cohesion of burgers that go on the grill frozen.

Bike Bubba said...

Gino; I understand what fat does, but the garbage they're selling at Wal-Mart is barely even pink, let alone red like beef ought to be....we're talking some serious amount of fat (or whatever) in those things.

Patty maker? I'm doing pretty good with "hands," but whatever. :^)

pentamom said...

I like the greater density and flatness you can get with the press. It's just this little cheap plastic thing with a disk and a plunger, but it does the job. To each his own!

pentamom said...

Oh, and FWIW, I've never seen anywhere, Walmart included, sell beef that's less than 73%.

Now 73% is still yucky, but I doubt your estimate of 60% was accurate.