Friday, October 06, 2023

An end game in mental health?

A meta-analysis of  166 studies of the emotional and psychological impact of "shouting and screaming" comes to the conclusion that "childhood verbal abuse" can be as bad as sexual or physical abuse, and argues for a separate classification for "CVA" as exemplified by "criticism, name-calling, ridiculing, scolding, and picking on" children.

Now as I look at the list, what I see is, by and large, the same thing I've seen with regards to studies of physical discipline of children; truly abusive behaviors are mixed with non-abusive, non-injurious behaviors, and the results are mixed, as if a spanking is the same thing as being punched or kicked senseless.  

And as a parent, knowing that "folly is bound up in the heart of a child", and knowing how Proverbs is in some ways a book length criticism/scolding of these habits, I have to wonder exactly what the "researchers" think parents can do.  Unless one is fortunate enough to be the Virgin Mary, one's children will always have sin bound up in their hearts, and thus no sane parent would abstain totally from criticism and scolding.

For that matter, I remember my mother's response when I took a road trip without enough sleep; she called me a "fool", and she was right.  Was she wrong to remind me in vivid language that the consequences of tired driving can be lethal to myself and others?

The more I see, the more I think that mental health in our country (world?) is being led by people with complete tunnel vision, who cannot view the secondary consequences of actions.  Almost any parent will be able to tell you about kids who did not get negative feedback from their parents--and the destruction that followed.

2 comments:

Hearth said...

Love isn't quantifiable.

I've known many people with horrific childhoods. The ones who were simultaneously told that they were loved and valued turned out a lot better than the ones who were told that they were unwanted. We're talking *serious*, no questions asked, abuse-by-any-definition.

But you can't write that up.

Bike Bubba said...

Well said; the context, not just the action, matters. Being called a fool because Mom doesn't want to bury you is a different thing from being called a fool just out of spite.