Monday, November 28, 2022

Thinking of sportsball

It was a sad weekend, as my favorite team, Michigan State, (expectedly) lost to Penn State, and my second favorite team, the team playing Michigan, also lost.   But that noted, something caught my eye.  Michigan players decided to "plant the flag" in the Buckeye, and  former Ohio State players were not exactly pleased.

Now as a former cross country runner, I'm not 100% up to speed on the sportsball politics of placing one's team's flag on the 50 yard line, but apparently it's obnoxious, and that brings to mind two other incidents involving the Michigan concussion-ball players; fights in the tunnel with opponents.

I'm not trying to excuse the Spartan players who tried to beat the snot out of some Wolverine opponents, mind you.  My thought is that at the end of a football game, physical superiority is pretty much decided, so trying to do this sort of thing is idiotic, and those who are convicted probably deserve what they get.  Players need to be reminded that you can quite literally throw away your future employability in five minutes or less.  Most of them are not going to the NFL, after all.

But that noted, this is the third such incident I've heard about this year, and I've got to wonder whether Harbaugh's team is going beyond the standard level of trash talking to get quite the reputation in the Big 10.  Maybe it's time for them to cool it before things really get out of hand.

And, of course, Go Boilermakers!  

No comments: