Friday, April 27, 2012

Now that's picky

I just received a note that a job I'd applied for was not in the cards because the hiring manager wanted to hire a quality engineer with a stronger mechanical background--keep in mind here that at my former employer, I produced a workmanship spec that covered various phases of the machining and plating process, and I also was the only QE that wandered into the machining areas.

But hey, if I'm going to be rejected for this reason, I've got some good company in other QEs who would have been rejected for the same reason.  W. Edwards Deming.  Walter Shewhart.  Philip Crosby.  Kaoro Ishikawa.  Joseph Juran.  All of these lacked that "mechanical engineering background" and thus had very little to tell their clients.   It's not like Deming helped make "Made in Japan" nearly synonymous with high quality goods, after all.

Either that, or perhaps the criteria I'd consider overly specific simply reflects an ugly fact  that all too many people with professional credentials have never learned to think beyond a very narrow set of situations, and hence hiring managers feel the need to be overly specific in this way. 

Sad, but understandable, I guess.


3 comments:

Gino said...

next time state obviously what should be understood.
the guy doing the hiring may not be doing the thinking required.

Bike Bubba said...

He may or may not be, though. Yes, the current MO is to show anyone without the exact qualifications the door. But if most applicants, even in engineering, cannot think, they've got to do it.

Interesting catch-22, methinks.

Bike Bubba said...

....and the guy who figures out how to consistently figure out who can, and can not, think can be a rich man.