Saturday, March 31, 2012

It takes a lot of nerve

My grad school (Ski U Boulder) just sent out an alumni newsletter (Go Big Red!) in which the story of a new lobbyist for the "government hypothesis" on climatology noted how the reason for his advocacy was the preservation of the multi-billion dollar winter sports industry.  OK, he lives in Aspen, I can see where he's going.....

....until I read what he does for a living.  More or less, Mr. Chris Davenport makes a living by going to mountains all around the world and skiing down the most dangerous ones that are plausibly ski-able.  He apparently made to six continents in 2011 and skied on 150 of the 365 days. 

OK, so let's do the math on this one.  Mr. Davenport and his entourage fly a commuter plane out of Aspen to Denver, LA, or San Francisco, then take a good portion of a jumbo jet halfway around the world and back, and they do this probably 20 times a year or more.

Seeing that Mr. Davenport's job burns more fossil fuel than does my entire neighborhood, I think it takes a lot of gall for him to accuse us of being the cause to the problem. 

6 comments:

Gino said...

he must be partying with al gore.

Brian said...

I am clearly applying to the wrong funding agencies...

Gino said...

bubba: email me... mrgino64 @ yahoo

and disable you word verification, please?

Bike Bubba said...

Gino; I'll consider that and send you a note.

Brian; I'm thinking here that Mr. Davenport isn't writing grants, but rather has the ability--given by God and decades of practice--to ski down hills that would make lesser mortals like myself lose bladder control.

pentamom said...

I think Brian means....someone's paying him to do this? Can we get in on this deal?

(And yes, the word verification stinks. As of now I'm up to four attempts, and I usually don't have a problem with this.)

Brian said...

What pentamom said, on both points.

(If you're using the new Blogger interface, you actually have to switch back to the old one to disable word verification. But you can switch back to the new interface as soon as you change the setting...it won't change anything else.)