Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A company to keep, and one to let go

First, the one to keep: St. Peter Woolen Mill manufactures wonderful woolen comforters. If you want to be comfortable (blissful really) with an adjustable thermostat, they've got a product that is as nice as down. They also do tours, if you're in the area.

One to let go: freecreditreport.com. Why so? Because to get your report, you've got to give them $15, which will be refunded if you manage to call their number. In other words, it's designed to fleece $15 or more from those who think they're getting a free credit report--as mandated by law.

Nice scam, but you can go to www.annualcreditreport.com for free. It's also a great way to combat illegal immigration; to work in the United States, many "piggyback" on unsuspecting credit records. This not only frustrates border enforcement, but also can create nasty problems with the IRS and employers. If you haven't checked your credit reports (I plan on checking one of mine every four months to get a full picture) recently, I highly recommend that you do so.

3 comments:

Pilgrim said...

And while you're hanging out in Nicollet County, be sure to stop by Schmidt's Meats in Nicollet, just 20 minutes from Mary Lues!

Best beef sticks. Ever. I still make a point to drive through if I can, and I now live in Missouri.

Bike Bubba said...

Thanks for the comment, and welcome here. How'd you find my humble site?

Pilgrim said...

Youbetcha, and thanks. I followed a Baylyblog referral some months or years ago. I subscribe via Google Reader. Yours is for sure one of my favorites!