Thursday, June 19, 2008

Discipleship in adulthood

When in college, I was blessed with a pastor who really stressed the process of bringing new believers along in Christ--and the result, nearly 20 years later, is that the vast majority of those he ministered to are still prospering in Christ. He didn't have the crowds that some of the parachurch ministries had, but I think he did a better job of making disciples.

That noted, one of those dear brothers asked me a striking question; "are you still involved in the disciple-making process today?"

Hmm.... certainly I'm not using the same materials as I did then (though I still possess some of it), but an adult can make disciples, too, I think. How to do it?

Well, you start by attending a church where the pastor makes a point of demonstrating the Gospel in all areas of Scripture, and you start to pick up the habit of doing so yourself. Apply it in friendships, in family devotions, and so on.

It might not be as "spiffy" as some of the manuals you may have from discipleship classes you've taken, but it might be something you'll be better at doing.

No comments: