Monday, August 16, 2021

Biden's Saigon moment

 Yes, the left is trying to soft-pedal the disaster in Afghanistan caused by Biden's premature withdrawal, but as the (democratically elected, ahem) government collapses, I'm reminded of something I saw at a former employer that spoke eloquently to how catastrophic the U.S. withdrawal from Vietnam was for freedom-minded Vietnamese.  Specifically, I visited security for some reason, and I noticed that there were 24 binders of personnel security files there.  Two of them were filled solely with the surname "Nguyen."  They were great workers in clean rooms, but it speaks to the horrors of the Communist regime that saw 800,000 of their own people flee--and which saw millions killed in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

Pray for the Afghan people.  The Vietnamese, Laotians, and Cambodians could flee over the border into Thailand, and hundreds of thousands did.  The Afghans are surrounded by China and several Islamist nations--Pakistan, Tajikstan, Iran, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan.  It's not going to be easy for freedom minded Afghans to escape the Taliban tyranny, to put it mildly.

4 comments:

Elspeth said...

I have mixed feeling about all of this, honestly. I cannot say with confidence that staying there indefinitely was the right thing to do, even for humanitarian reasons.

I think I could have probably swallowed it better if TPTB were honest up front and just said, "Listen Americans. We will be staying in Afghanistan as occupiers in perpetuity."

I wouldn't have liked it, but it would have been honest. My prayers are however with those people, especially those of the Household of Faith.

Hearth said...

Do you suppose we could make the White House watch The Killing Fields on repeat?

I'm disgusted and heartbroken. I am very rarely ashamed of our country, but I am right now.

As E says, being honest in the first place would have been far preferable (after all, we don't fix the mess south of the border because of the cost of occupation) but not being honest is going to be paid in blood.

Bike Bubba said...

My thought is that given that the takeover released thousands of terrorists and exposed hundreds of thousands of women and children to rape as "trophy brides" for Taliban fighters, all while giving a treasure trove of weaponry to the Taliban....and transitively to the Russians and Chinese for "reverse engineering".

One can argue the wisdom of perpetual deployment of armies (as in Germany, Japan, Korea, England, Iceland, etc..), but I would hope that we would at least make the decision knowing the consequences.

Hearth said...

I saw a thing on a major news channel saying that they'd already ordered widows over 15 and under 45 to put their names on a list to be assigned a Taliban husband.