Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The need for out of shape workers

Yes, you are reading this correctly. I am offering the hypothesis that companies today actually want people who are out of shape. Here is my logic:

When I work out seriously--say riding my bike 30 miles in a day, or going swimming for a while, or running any significant distance (> 2 miles or so), I find that I sleep much more deeply and much longer. The Bible even notes how well the worker sleeps (in Proverbs), whether he eats little or much. Even hunger is not a big barrier to sleep for a man who has wearied his body.

On the other hand, when I look at the corporate world, I see the "movers and shakers" sleeping four or five hours a night and taking conference calls in the wee hours of the morning. Even the "plebians" are well known to take six hours or less of sleep.

So it seems to me that the behaviors that lead to personal fitness are actually opposed to those which lead a man to success in the corporate world. And of course, it doesn't hurt, either, that a lot of people work in the corporate world because they need the medical benefits. Hmmm....

2 comments:

Mercy Now said...

It's bed time for me so I did not read your post but the title, will come back later. Anyway, I was extremely offended that you call people OUT OF SHAPE! We should accept people for who they are whether they are fat or not, I mean horizontally challenged.

Bike Bubba said...

I'm insulting myself, though. Does that make it OK? :^)